Spanish La Liga giants Barcelona announced on Feb. 26 that midfielder Sergio Busquets has agreed to terms on a contract extension that will see him remain with the Camp Nou outfit until June of 2019. Busquets has appeared in more than 300 matches with the side since debuting back in 2008. He’s played in 23 games so far in the 2014/15 season and has a goal and two assists to his name. However, the club feels the 26-year-old has a lot to offer on other areas of the pitch.
Barcelona released an official statement regarding the signing of the defensive which said, “FC Barcelona has reached an agreement with Sergio Busquets for the renewal of his contract until June 30, 2019 with an option for another year. The new contract will be signed Friday, February 27, at 13 am, at the offices of the Club.”
Busquets has won 16 different pieces of silverware with the team, but has also hinted t the media that he’s interested in playing in the English Premier League before he retires. He told the press, “I envy everything. I admire the Premier League for the quality and style of football. Maybe after years playing the same style you tire of it and football there is very different. Stadiums are full, pitches are good, the press is different, people are different and the football culture is different.”
The player also feels there is more space and opportunity on the football pitches in the Premier League and that would suit his style of play. He admitted that the English game is more intense and physical, but believes he’d be comfortable playing there. Barcelona has their work cut out for them for the remainder of the 2015/15 season as they’re four points behind league-leading Real Madrid in the race for the Spanish league crown.